Job Title: Director of Community Engagement
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisor: Executive Director
B’nai B’rith Housing (BBH) is a regional nonprofit affordable housing developer whose mission is to ease the housing crisis in the Greater Boston area. We work with cities and towns to produce high-quality housing that responds to the needs of the community and creates homes for people otherwise left behind by the current market. Our housing, both rental and home ownership, is for families and older adults, regardless of religion or background and we are proud that more than a dozen ethnicities and immigrant communities are represented in the housing we have created. We believe that affordable housing is about strengthening neighborhoods, supporting economic growth, creating thriving cities, and giving every individual the opportunity to share in our area’s economic prosperity. Our work, though non-sectarian, is grounded in the Jewish tradition of tikkun olam (repairing the world) and chesed (love and kindness between people) and these values guide our work every day.
BBH is experiencing tremendous growth and is seeking to hire their first Director of Community Engagement. This role will support our project management team’s efforts in various communities in the Greater Boston area as we seek expand our footprint. We are looking for someone who has significant experience with in-person, on-the-ground outreach in communities as well as strategy development to support this outreach. Up to 50% of this job is out in the community and/or on the phone so applicants should have a high level of comfort with personal interactions. The ideal candidate is deeply invested in the housing sector and will find new ways to help BBH leverage our exceptional reputation.
- Develop sustained strategic collaborations in communities where we seek to develop affordable housing in the future, and in communities where our projects are currently underway (Swampscott, Sudbury, Newton, Brighton). This includes:
- mapping stakeholders on affordable housing in key communities, both allies and opponents.
- listening carefully to understand their priorities and concerns about potential affordable housing developments and seeking opportunities for alignment of interests.
- Drive and facilitate implementation of a cohesive communications plan and strategy that addresses both short and long-term needs. This includes development of organizational messaging and language and leveraging of both traditional and social media. The ideal candidate will be someone who can bring new ideas to the table to increase our presence, build stronger coalitions, and identify new opportunities.
- Partner with BBH Project Managers, involving them in strategy development for specific communities and connecting them to key stakeholders.
- Organize community gatherings and other events (house parties, groundbreakings, business partner cultivation events, etc.) to expand the BBH network and support the overall communications strategy.
- Mobilize turn-out for hearings or other public meetings.
- Manage and grow our Gen2Gen emerging leaders’ program by developing events, shepherding the steering committee, and developing a strategy to grow participation and enhance constituent engagement.
- Experience in the affordable housing sector.
- On-the-ground experience with community outreach and engagement.
- Experienced – and highly comfortable – with relationship building both in-person and by phone. This includes outreach to identify and grow new relationships.
- Strong relational and collaborative skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Politically skilled and strategic in assessing power dynamics.
- Experience developing and delivering communications strategies, using multiple platforms including social media.
- Experience with organizing small targeted events to advance a goal.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM database.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities and solve problems expeditiously.
- Ability to work in a team and to contribute actively and appropriately.
- Excellent employment references.
- A valid driver’s license and have access to an automobile and/or public transportation for
- offsite work-related meetings.
- This position requires some evening and weekend hours.
OUR HIRING PROCESS & TIMELINE
- Send your resume with a cover letter telling us what you find interesting or challenging about this position. Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed. Send materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Compensation: Commensurate with Experience – $80,000-$100,000
- Full-time, exempt position. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
- 21 days of PTO, 10 paid holidays, and a family-friendly schedule
- Competitive benefit package.
- B’nai B’rith Housing does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are an organization that is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients
This is an exciting time for growth at BBH – we need your energy and enthusiasm. If you are looking for a job that you can be excited about and want to work for a place that is creating real, positive change here in Massachusetts, apply today!